From: Alan Spicer [mailto:aspicer at ifxcorp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 5:02 PM
To: De Schrijver Peter; 'ascend-users at bungi.com'
Subject: Re: (ASCEND) Default Web page.

* It is going to probably be browser and OS specific. The same thing that
works
on and MS Windows user, will not likely work on a Mac or Linux (or Solaris
for
that matter...) user. I seem to remember that some Internet dialers ( DUN in
Windows 9x ? ) can be set to run a certain application upon connecting. And
assuming that the same company (ISP?) installed the browser also ... It
doesn't
seem so difficult to get a default web page to come up.

If it is a (supposedly) trusted organization or company, then it might not
be
such a sneaky terrible thing to have their web site come up upon connection
the Internet the first few times a user dials in. I know MS's browsers send
you
to a particular page right after installing MS IE 5 and such. Creating your
own
dialer (or settings of MS DUN?) and intalling the browser with a default
page,
could very well be part of your sign-up CD's installation.

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, De Schrijver Peter wrote:

> >> Does anyone know of a way to force all
> >> incoming PPP connections to automatically
> >> run a script on the end users PC that will open a web
> >> page?
> >
> >As a user, I would be *VERY* afraid if my ISP could do this to me,
> >especially if there was a documented and supported mecanism!
>
> I have seen this mechanism on freenet.de Germany (0101901929 login
> without username/passwd)  , users dial in to the server and
> automatically get www.freenet.de in their browsers (upon startup). Most
> probably this is not a script but a redirection of the first http
> request ...
> I do not know how they do it , but would be interested in knowing .
>
> >-Phil
> >++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
> >To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com
> >To get FAQ'd:	<http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq>