From:           	"Peter Rocca" <rocca at multiboard.com>
To:             	<ascend-users at max.bungi.com>
Subject:        	Re: (ASCEND) Default Web page.
Date sent:      	Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:50:41 -0400

> > It seems that the MAX/TNT also now have an option
> > since 8.0 to force a redirection:
>
> Yes the TNT has a redirection feature but I believe you still need a
> transparent proxy however to answer the request otherwise it just passes
> through. If you have a TNT I'd probably suggest using the specific option,
> otherwise the default gateway trick (or Ascend-Client-Gateway in the RADIUS
> configuration) works the same way - except all traffic instead of just http
> will be redirected.

Hmm... it seem you may only specify the next hop a Client has to go for it's Packets.

The Problem has to be devided in two Parts:
1.) All http traffic from the Client has to be forwarded to the Proxy.
    If I could do a simple "if dest_port == 80 then dest_ip = proxy_ip"
    in a input_filter for my Client this Problem would be gone.
    BUT unlucky it seem that the currend Filter configuration may only
    pass or block Packets but NOT MODIFY. :-(
2.) The Proxy must be aware when a Client is newly logged in so when the
    first request comes it presents it's defaultpage (regardless of the Clients
    first request). I think this is best done when the Proxy interacts in some
    way with the Radius-Server. If the Radiusserver has the start-record with the
    Ip-Adresse (from the Pool) the new Client is assigned and give that information
    to the Proxy, the Proxy exactly knew when to present the default Page.

Regards H.Schroeder

Hartmut Schroeder             MMS Communication AG
mailto:hacko at mms.de           Eiffestrasse 598
http://www.mms.de/~hacko      20537 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 211105-40       Fax: +49 40 210 32 210
UTM 32U0569835 5934083 WGS84
++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com