--- Phillip Vandry <vandry at TZoNE.ORG> wrote:
> > Actually, the Max is setting the IP (from a pool).
>  Does this make a
> > difference?  For what it is worth, when I look at
> the routing tables
> > on the max, it lists the IPaddresses as /32
> addresses.  The dialup
> > user (mostly Win9X) shows a classful netmask.
>
> If the address is assigned from a pool, then it is
> always /32.
>
> The dialup user shows a classful netmask because it
> doesn't know what
> it's talking about.

8^)

>IPCP (the PPP protocol for
> negociating IP addresses)
> negociates a single IP address. Any client that
> thinks it has been
> assigned more than 1 address, except where such has
> been explicitely
> configured, has serious problems.

Slightly simplified, but basically the right idea :)

> However: Note that some implementations of PPP place
> a netmask on the PPP
> interface because their IP stacks require netmasks
> to be placed on all
> interfaces, but the netmask on the PPP interface is
> not used and has no
> meaning.

I seem to recall seeing a correct netmask on my
machines, but then I don't use regular dial-up any
more. If the client only has one NIC card (the modem),
then there would be no problems anyway - since there
is
no "local" interface....

=====
Ascend Veteran