>From: ryan l robbins <ryan.l.robbins at mail.sprint.com>
>
>Presently, users are dialing into a MAX 2024 and getting authenticated
>locally.
By locally do you mean connection profiles on the MAX?

>I have Ascend Access Control v1.0Ai5 installed on a Windows NT
>Server box.  I'm currently testing login sessions using user profiles
>stored in AAC.

Login sessions meaning just terminal sessions - not a PPP session.

>Authentication works fine, but error messages appear
>after login.  I'm using PPP protocol to connect, and a pool of IP's
>stored and distributed on the MAX are being used.

That is different from what is classically termed a login session....

>In testing, I first used my local profile to connect, and the following
>text appeared in the terminal window:
>
>** Sprint Max2024 Termial Server **
>

>Login: rrobbins
>Password: *****
>ascend%
>
>When I see the ascend% prompt, I know I am now attached to the network.

This is a normal "login" session - NOT using PPP at all.

>Next, I used my test profile stored on the RADIUS server to connect, and
>the following text appeared in the terminal window:
>
>** Sprint Max2024 Termial Server **
>

>Login: bsimpson
>Password: *****

You're authenticated....

>         Entering PPP Mode.
>     IP address is 192.168.18.122

...assigned an IP address from the pool....

>     MTU is 1524.
>| <--Cursor
>At this point, the cursor moves to the next line, and hangs.  If nothing
>is done the connection will time out.  If you hit a key on the keyboard,
>successive, repeating line of garble (i.e. #@$*)(^%@) will appear and
>repeat every few seconds.

That is the PPP protocol that you were referring to earlier. At this point
the PPP client should be started....

>After experiencing this trouble, I went to the "logfile" in the Database
>directory, and the "detail" file in the Accounting directory and found
>some discreptancies between the two login sessions.
>
>With the log file, it appears that Accounting Start Requests are getting
>resent over and over again to the RADIUS server.  The first two lines
>appear as follows:
>
>Tue Aug 15 14:11:31 2000: Accounting: 106/19 'bsimpson' from
>192.168.18.45 port 20120 Start - OK -- total 0, holding 0
>Tue Aug 15 14:11:32 2000: Received-Accounting: 107/20 'bsimpson' from
>192.168.18.45 port 20120 Start
>Tue Aug 15 14:11:32 2000: Accounting: 107/20 'bsimpson' from
>192.168.18.45 port 20120 Start - OK -- total 0, holding 0
>Tue Aug 15 14:11:33 2000: Received-Accounting: 108/21 'bsimpson' from
>192.168.18.45 port 20120 Start

That means accounting is enabled on the MAX, and probably not running
on the RADIUS server (AAC).