>From: Keith Comer <KComer at nwonline.net>
>
>We have a user who is using a router with dual isdn, he is dialing into a
>Max TNT. The software version on the TNT is 2.1.9

2.1.9?! When I were a lad...

>The network that the router is servicing has 5 Macs and 8 PC's. The PC's
>have no problem but the Macs download really slow if at all when the router
>is dialed up to the Max TNT. Now, if the isdn router dials to a Max 4048
>with software version 6.1.7 the Macs and PCs can access the internet and
>transfer data at the correct speeds one would expect from dual ISDN. This
>has been verified several times and its always true. I was wondering if
>anyone had experienced something like this or if anyone has an idea of how
>to fix it. Several different routers have been tried on the customers end
>with the same results on all of them. I think the only way to fix this is to
>upgrade the software on the TNT but the only problem with that is some of
>the hardware in it isn't supported by the new software versions.

It would help if you mentioned what type of ISDN CPE router you're using.

Old Netopias with equally-old firmware had a problem negotiating Stac
compression with the TNT. This was fixed in Netopia firmware 3.1.3,
or, if you're allergic to firmware upgrades entirely, you can disable
Stac on the profile. As your TNT firmware is from the same bygone
era, I thought I'd mention it.

HTH.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis