The MX-SL-8BRIN is a network side card which provides an S interface so that
will be the equivalent of your Max 1800 setup with NT-1s.  You don't need
any hash codes to activate the card, but you do need to make sure you're on
a software load that has the BRI card support.  The file name has to have a
"b" in it.  For example:

ftbk.m40
ftbik.m40

You should also be aware that if you insert one BRI slot card in a Max 4000,
you will reduce the number of T1/PRI ports by one (i.e. three WAN ports
available for use).  This has to do with the internal data paths of the Max
4000 architecture (which was only designed to accomodate its four onboard
WAN ports).  The BRI card will borrow some of the pathways normally
allocated to the T1/PRI ports so you will end up losing the use of one
T1/PRI port.

Is anyone using a 8-port ISDN BRI card in their 4000's?

We are currently in a situation where we have several BRI's that we
want to plug into a 1800, or something like that.  The BRI's already
have an NT1 on it, so it would have to be a S model, but that is
another story.

What I am trying to find out is will a MX-SL-8BRIN 8-port ISDN BRI
card just plug into a Max 4000, or will we need a hash code to make
this card work?  We already have a 4000 floating around and would
love to put this unit to work.

Any help greatly appreciated since, as we all know, Ascend's site no
longer has any of the older info available, and I am not about to
call Ascend technical as I have a strong feeling they will not know
either (I would _love_ to be proved wrong on this issue).

TIA!

Paul M. Ledbetter