Jonathan,
Do you have 'rip trigger' enabled? Chances are that your DNS server doesn't
know how to go back to the client so your client never gets a response in
time. After 30 seconds, RIP will propagate the routes normally and your DNS
server will know how to get back.
(OSPF updates the routing table essentially immediately, which explains why
your TNT using OSPF works fine).
-J