If you can ping everything on your network, then you most likely can't get
NetBIOS name resolution to work.  You need to make sure your NT laptops can
resolve the NetBIOS names of the domain controllers to log into the domain.
Usually this is done with having a WINS server somewhere on the network and
making sure all the domain controllers point to this WINS server (configured
in Control Panel->Network).

Then on the Ascend, the only thing you want to configure is under:

Ethernet->Mod Config->DNS->Primary WINS

Once the NT laptops dial in and get the WINS server address, they will know
how to find the PDC or BDC to log into the domain.

The other alternative to using a WINS server is having a local LMHOSTS file
on each NT laptop, but that requires more manual configurations (which I
won't get into unless someone really need to do it this way).

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

We have an ascend max 4000 box set up for RAS dialin onto our network.
we have a number of nt laptops that need to use this service.

have configured laptop to log on locally using cached domain account
then dial in to ascend using ascend username and password.

This works great and can access email/web/network resources ok.

the problem is that the NT domain logon script does not run. Please
excuse the naivety of this question but the network guy has left and i
have been stuck with this system that i know nothing about.

how does the NT domain authentication actually take place. how can i
force the RAS client to authenticate on the domain PDC so that the
logon script runs.

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated

Steve Bailey