The APX or TNT is trying to configure some inital parameters via RADIUS:

route-apx8000-1
ipxroute-apx8000-1
appleroute-apx8000-1
pools-apx8000-1
permconn-apx8000-1
frdlink-apx8000-1
authcode-apx8000-1
initial-banner-apx8000
banner
route-1
ipxroute-1
appleroute-1
authcode-1
initial-banner

It will do this every time it switches radius servers (if you have more
than one configured).

On an APX with TAOS 9.0.0 you can set the EXTERNAL-AUTH parameter:

rad-auth-client allow-auth-config-rqsts

to "NO" and disable the config attempts.  I can say with certainty that
this feature is NOT available on a TNT running TAOS 7.2.0.  From your
pasted in config below, it appears that this parameter is available for
you to set on whatever version of the OS you are running.

We are using the Radiator here with no problems....  Having the feature
enabled or disabled.
Arnold Cavazos, Jr.                    abcjr at southwind.net
Operations Manager
fn.net hit.net southwind.net
OneMain.com Companies

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Matthew Watkins wrote:

>Anybody out there have experience using ICRADIUS
>(http://icradius.hislora.com.au/) with either the Lucent APX or TNT
>products?
>
>We've configured an APX for typical ISP-style remote-access, and the Radius
>server crashes out as soon as it receives the first authentication request.
>More specifically, the first attempt generates 20 or so lines of errors
>before the radius process quits abruptly and has to be manually restarted.
>
>Using the "Radauth" command on the APX seems to work happily enough:
>
>admin> help radauth
>radauth  authenticate a name and password via RADIUS.
> usage: radauth "name" "password"
>    The double-quotes may be omitted if the parameter [name, password]
>    does not contain embedded spaces.
>
>admin> radauth matt.watkins knowware
>...radauth request queued, awaiting response
>radauth: 2
>admin>
>
>Connecting an E1 and waiting for a call is a different matter, the first
>user authentication attempt kills the radius server process. I would assume
>it is somehow related to the attributes the APX is sending in the
>authorisation request? We've imported the Ascend dictionary from the
>ftp.ascend.com site, but this has had no bearing on the problem. I suspect
>it may be a dictionary problem, but crashing out seems to be a rather severe
>response?
>
>The customer has been happily running PM-4s through their current system for
>some time, and I've personally installed two APX chassis into other ISPs
>without any such problems. Changing RADIUS software is not really viable in
>the short-term, although I have recommended that the customer take a close
>look at Radiator (http://www.open.com.au/radiator/). I've reset the nvram on
>the APX and quickly attempted to set the chassis up from scratch, but
>simplifying the configuration has not helped.
>
>The APX "external-auth" settings are below, with addresses blanked out to
>protect the innocent. Almost everything is set to the chassis defaults, with
>the bare minimum of changes. I'm waiting for the customer to forward me all
>relevant output from the ICRADIUS logs.
>
>We have attempted tweaking many of the settings to coax the system into
>working, but haven't had any luck yet.
>
>I am not currently subscribed to the ICRADIUS list, so please copy me in any
>replies to the list if you have any useful advice.
>
>- Matt
>

>admin> read external-auth
>EXTERNAL-AUTH read
>admin> list
>[in EXTERNAL-AUTH]
>auth-type = RADIUS
>acct-type = none
>rad-id-space = distinct
>rad-id-source-unique = port-unique
>rad-serv-enable = no
>rad-auth-client = { #.#.#.# 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1645 0 ******* no 1 no no no +
>rad-acct-client = { 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0 "" 1 0 acct-base-10 0 0 yes
> [...]

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com