Thanks for the advice Peter!

The customer has made some furher investigation with locked-up Max20's and
seems that the box is alive, but the Ethernet port is jammed.  Removing and
re-inserting the cable does not help.  Nor does clear int or shut, no shut
in an adjacent Cisco.  Are there any commands to clear the Ethernet
interface in Max20?

The problems with 8.0.3 were in OSPF.  Now the customer has upgraded some
boxes to 8.0.3 with the same config as 7.10.6 (RIP).

-Mikko