Kevin,

I missed the first part of this thread, and don't know if you're talking
about a cisco connecting to an Ascend, or vis-versa, but here's the dialer
config from my router at home (Cisco 804) which is connected to a Max 1800.

interface Dialer1
 ip address negotiated
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation ppp
 no ip split-horizon
 dialer remote-name isdn-02.rad
 dialer idle-timeout 2147483
 dialer string 4908
 dialer string 4909
 dialer hold-queue 10
 dialer load-threshold 1 either
 dialer pool 1
 dialer-group 1
 pulse-time 0
 ppp pap sent-username troy password 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 ppp multilink

This cisco has been connected without issue (except power outages) for over
a year and a half.  Hope this helps you.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks

It's always a long day, 86400 doesn't fit into a short