Max User wrote:

> Actually, if "MDM Modulation" is set for V.90, the Max 4k/6k will first
> present 56k-flex, then V.90; basically meaning it will try both and not just
> V.90.  Therefore, if a dual mode modem dials in (dual mode meaning it will
> do 56k-flex or V.90), it will accept the 56k-flex offer from the Max and end
> up doing 56k-flex so hence you run into the problem you mentioned below.
>
> In version 7.0, there was a parameter added under System->Sys Config called
> "AT Answer String".  If you plug in this value...
>
> +A8E=,,,0
>
> ...it will disable the V.8bis tone (the tone sounds like an initial bee-boop
> tone), which is used for 56flex negotiations.  Client modems should now only
> get a V.90 request.
>
> Hope this helps.

I heard that trick from someone else and am currently running it on
one Max6K- and it does disable the "bee-boop tone"- but damned if
I can't log on with a "pure" K56Flex Zoom modem at 46,000.....
I see fewer Kflex connects (I assume that even-numbered connections
are all Kflex and I may be wrong here) than before, but they're still
there. And we tested several K56Flex-Only modems and they all connected
in the 40's.

So I'm stumped. In any case, it's better than it was- so thanks to all
who sent me this tip!

'Shot
++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com