>From: "Danko Jevtovic" <danko at sezampro.yu>
>
>We are using MAX4060 E1 units for ISDN/analog dial-in for our ISP in Europe
>and we plan to purchase used Max TNT. We have offer for such unit fully
>loaded for 8 E1 dial in lines. I have following specification and we where
>promised to receive R2-CAS signalization with the unit.
>
>As I do not have any experience with TNT (only with MAX4000) I need help
>from list members in order to technically evaluate this offer. I know that
>TNT has some issued as series I/II/II modem card, limit on number of HDSL
>channels, etc. We need it to fully utilize 8 E1 lines for dial-in with mixed
>R2 and ISDN signaling and we expect 100% load (all lines busy) every night.
>Is this configuration adequate for the task and up to date technically?
>
>*** MAX TNT with Dual PS 16 A, AC 250V ***
>admin> sh
>Shelf 1 ( standalone ):
>     { shelf-1 slot-1 0 }       UP       4/1ether-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-2 0 }       UP       8e1-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-3 0 }       UP       192hdlc-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-4 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-5 }         OCCUPIED
>     { shelf-1 slot-6 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-7 }         OCCUPIED
>     { shelf-1 slot-8 0 }       UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-9 }         OCCUPIED
>     { shelf-1 slot-10 0 }      UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-11 }        OCCUPIED
>     { shelf-1 slot-12 0 }      UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-13 }        OCCUPIED
>     { shelf-1 slot-14 0 }      UP       48modem-56k-card
>     { shelf-1 slot-15 }        OCCUPIED

The TNT is in general _far_ more robust than any 4000. It will handle
load much better, providing you use currently-supported cards. Some
of the older cards were awful and will cause you pain and suffering.

 From the TAOS 9.0.0 release note:

Notice of discontinuance of software support
Software support has been discontinued for the MAX TNT Ethernet-0
slot card (TNT-SL-E10), the Fast (100 MB) Ethernet-1 slot card
(TNT-SL-E100), and the older MAX TNT Hybrid Access slot cards
(TNT-SL-HA128 and TNT-SL-HA192).

This means that if you have any of these cards you'll never be able
to upgrade your TNT beyond 7.x. You don't want that.

The 192hdlc-card you list is not robust, reliable, or even supported
in TAOS 8.0. You don't want one. Then you need to look at how many
concurrent ISDN sessions you'll have and use an HDLC card (or cards)
with enough processors.
I don't know what a 4/1ether-card's actual model number is, but I
think it's a problematic card too.
I haven't used the dual-slot 56-modem cards, but even if they're
reliable I'd be concerned that they're using up almost all your
slots. Will you need another 8-E1 card? Or a channelized DS-3 card?
Are you prepared to go to a multi-shelf system to add more than one
more card?
I'm not aware of any issues with the 8-E1 card, but then I'm in the
U.S. We haven't had any troubles with the 8-T1 card, FWIW.
I'm also not sure if the 16 A power supplies are the High Output
supplies, but that's what you want there. Hint: they're not cheap.

HTH.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/