luke johnson wrote:           (written on 10/27/00 at 05:40)
]
]We have a couple of TNT's which are producing the message below.  Upon
]looking at the suspect modem list I found that it contained close to 200
]modems!!  we only have 480 installed...  I'm aware that 3 failed auth
]attempts will put the modem on the suspect list, however, it seems a bit
]excessive.  (there are no modems on the failed list).  We are running
]version 7.2.3, and are considering updating to ver 8.0.3, as I believe the
]TNT will only put the modems on a suspect list if they fail 8 time instead
]of three.
]
]Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why we may be seeing so many
]modems put onto the suspect list?

What usage do you generally have on your TNT?  How long has
it been since you last cleared/checked the modems on the suspect list?

Remember, once a modem gets put on the suspect list, it will not
get tried again unless all other modems are already in use...and
the only way it will ever get moved off of the suspect list is
by having a successful call.  If you have 200 modems sitting
on your suspect list, but can still handle all of your traffic
with your remaining 280 modems, the suspect modems will never
be given a chance to redeem themselves.

If you see an entire modem card listed on the suspect list, then
there's a good chance that card is 'bad'.

One gripe that I've always had is that I have never been able to
'manually' move a modem off of the suspect list, without resetting
the entire modem card (slot -d, slot -r, etc).