Hi Steve,

i came across that problem myself quite a few times. There is a solution to
it although that is pretty difficult:

First you need to remove the cover of the MAX and locate the jumper called
P6 (maybe it was P9, i don't exactly remember).
That jumper should be located somewhere near the back end of the MAX.

After you closed that jumper, boot up the MAX and connect a PC to the
serial connector (56700,8,1,N if I remember right).
You don't have to put the cover on while you do the next steps.

Now the MAX should boot up in the so called NINDY MODE. That gives you the
opportunity to clear the NVRAM and install
a different software version (the older the TAOS is, the better). After you
installed some old TAOS you reboot the MAX and
install the newest TAOS or the version you want to use.

Now your MAX should have the standard Full Access Password (Ascend) and you
can re-configure it.

With a little practice you should be able to do that within 30-60 minutes,
so no big deal.

If you have further question don't hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,
Steve Meier

At 17:24 31.10.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a unit here that wont reset the password. I have removed the
>battery for the extent of a weekend and still nothing. I have heard from
>others that there are procedures to do once you have removed the battery
>for a time. Can anyone lead me to a URL or have the procedure in a format
>they can transfer via email?
>
>  I have the following available coming out of service:
>2000 chassis w/ 3- MXSL-8MOD-s56 $2700
>4002 chassis w/ 4- MXSL-8MOD-s56 $2950
>4048 chassis w/ 3- MXSL-16MOD-s56 $4500
>4004 chassis w/ ISDN/FR (New Condition) $1000
>

>Steve Rivera (VP) - w-732.833.2111 x102 /  c-732.433.5890 24Hr
>(www.isp-networkhardware.com)
>Email: srivera at wrca.net - Mobile Email: srivera711 at hotmail.com
>
>Worldwide Provider of Network Hardware Since 1981.

>++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
>To unsubscribe: send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com
>To get FAQ'd:   <http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq>

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++