> How far from the customer premise to the central office or dslam?
> We've found that the further you push the slower you need to
> connect in order to keep a stable connection.
>
> Never used NAT.

Not entirely sure, but it's likely that we are pushing the workable limits.
Maybe the copper run is between three and four kilometers?

Now we're not using NAT, I've got access to the pipeline back again.
I can immediately see that there are errors on the Wan interface:

WAN Stat
Rx Pkt:       2292
Tx Pkt:       2796
CRC:        586v

I have swapped the data rate from 272000 to the lowest setting, 144000 baud.
The same CRC errors occur. Telnet to the pipeline feels laggy, with loads of
delay. I think there are plenty of packets being re-sent. Just to totally
contradict everything, I can ping the pipeline and get no loss with a
reasonably consistent 100ms time, even with large ping packets. The pipeline
says Line quality is "4db Good". I have been considering trying BERT tests,
but find myself wondering if this will provide any useful information? STAC
compression is currently enabled, which I am about to turn off... As I said
before, downstream traffic seems fast and reliable. I can't think why there
should be any assymetry. If the line is noisy, it should affect traffic both
ways?

- Matt

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com