>From: "Matthew Watkins" <matt at knowware.co.uk>
>
>We're using a DSL-Max and a DSL-Pipeline over some British Telecom supplied
>copper. It's a single-copper pair, running between two locations. We have
>set the line speed statically to 272000 at both ends of the link. The next
>step up seemed to produce an unstable connection. During testing, "autobaud"
>was either taking too long, or did not appear to work at all.

What's the length of the loop?

>The problem appears to be poor upstream performance from the pipeline. FTP
>downloads hit high speeds, but uploads slow to a crawl. The same is true for
>sending mail etc., so it would appear to affect all the traffic on the wire.

Are you using PPP or Frame Relay encapsulation? Check the encaps
settings carefully; if PPP, is compression enabled on one side but
not the other, etc... It sounds like you might have an encapsulation
error. Set aside the fact that it's DSL for a moment and check the
upper layers.

>The pipeline originally used RFC1918 addresses on the ethernet interface,
>and was running Network address translation. I've not used the pipeline NAT
>implementation for anything before, so I wasn't sure if this was the cause.

It shouldn't be a problem with recent code.

>I also couldn't gain telnet access to the pipeline when NAT was enabled. I
>would have hoped that port 23 would be automatically mapped to the external
>numbered interface address, but that does not appear to be the case. Adding
>a static mapping so that port 23 points at the pipeline's ethernet interface
>address does not provide remote access either.

A static mapping _should_ work to get you telnet access.

>The code revision on the Max is: 8.0.3, the pipeline is running 7.10.8.

So presumably this is a DSLPipe-HS or -HST? Those are decent boxes
and we have them in the field with no problems. We are running 7.10.5.

HTH.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/