> Hi all - i wonder if any of you have played around with the Cellpipe
> 50S?  What i am interested in is if it can work back-to-back with another
> cellpipe - i know Lucent says they are CPE equipment made for the
> Stinger.... but we don't have enought dsl customers to merit a stinger,
> and i wonder if we can use those little critters back-to-back....

We use a number of the DSL-HS and DSL-HST's back to back in this
configuration and they work great. I'd imagine the 50S's are the similar
since the HST's are the replacement models for them, however I believe they
are ATM whereas the HST's are Frame Relay so I could be wrong. A good
indication would be checking if there is a CPE/COE setting in the software,
for the HST's its right under 'Configure', called 'Unit Type' and has a
setting of CPE/COE.

> A while ago, someone posted that they were able to 'beat the system' by
> providing DSL to customers, without going through the phone company or
> becoming a CLEC.  If I remember right, it involved getting a dry
> pair from the phone company, and some kind of special provisioning but
> that's all I remember, and I accidentally deleted the message.
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  If anyone has any links to
> informative sites, or books to refer to, please let me know where to go.

In Canada the circuit is called an 'LDDS' and costs anywhere between $20 and
$50 CDN. In other parts of the world it's called by a number of different
things, 'dry pair', 'unloaded circuit', etc - all depends on your telco.
Basically what you need is a nailed copper pair from your customer to you
that doesn't have any power on it (ie no humming), and the cable distance
has to be within the range of the device you're using. Snap these puppies on
either end and away you go....

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com