Are you by chance using CHT1's?
If you are, I had the exact same problem and my max 6096's were working great and all of a sudden we got these high pitch constant tones.  I was running 7.0.26 at the time and tried 7.2.3 and 2 other higher versions.
Finally took the unit back to 6.1.7 and has not missed a lick since.

What the heck is the deal there?
Go Figure.

Hope this helps!

John

On 4/11/2001 at 11:59 AM Dennis Duval wrote:

>I have a problem with a brand new Max 6096.  I am trying to phase out some
>Max 4000 series units.   However ever since putting this 6096 online, I
>have
>experienced som serious intermittent problems.  Lucent has already RMA'd
>the
>chassis of this unit because of a dead port.  Until a couple of days ago,
>the new unit has performed without any apparent problems for about 2 weeks
>except for a recurring messages in my Cistron radius logfile:
>
>Wed Apr 11 11:00:25 2001: Error: Accounting: no username in record
>Wed Apr 11 11:01:37 2001: Error: Accounting: no username in record
>
>When I have the new 6096 online, I get these messages at fairly regular
>intervals, usually about 2 to 10 error messages spread out over the course
>of an hour.  With only the 4000's online, I don't get the messages, except
>perhaps very rarely.  This is the same message I would get when a call
>would
>hit the 'dead' port before the unit was RMA'd.  The caller would hear a
>single high-pitch unwavering continuous tone and that is all.  By
>monitoring
>the Max it is apparent that the calls were hitting the Max, but not being
>completed.
>
>Monday night those same errors started occuring in great numbers until that
>is all that was being seen in the log files.  Each caller was getting the
>same high-pitch continuous tone.  Tuesday I spent a lot of time with
>Southwestern Bell technicians trying to troubleshoot the problem and in the
>end, the best we could determine is that there seems to be a problem with
>the CSU's associatd with WAN3 and WAN4.  Because when we took those
>incoming
>T1's and moved them to a 4000, calls began to come in ok.  In all the
>processs of trouble shooting, I never rebooted the machine because WAN1 and
>WAN2 were functioning perfectly and I didn't not want to knock those users
>off.  I feel like a reboot might have cleared some error condition in the
>machine but I have been using Max series 6000's for about 4 years now, and
>have never had to reboot one to reset any error conditions.  However at the
>other installation I am dealing with a nearly state-of-the-art switch and
>Sprint as the telco.  My Maxen there run version 7.2.3 which I've found to
>be very stable.  At this installation where I am having problems, I am
>dealing with an older Erikson Master/Slave switch and Southwestern Bell as
>the Telco.  In this scenario, the orginating calls are from a small town
>with the Erikson slave switch.  My T1 lines (plain old channelized T1, no
>PRI available here) come out of the Erickson master switch 60 miles away.
>So there is a lot of hardware between the originating call and my Maxen.
>The software on the new Max is running 8.0.3.  However the first Max before
>being RMA'd was loaded with 7.2.3 and was still seeing a lot of of the
> [...]

Have you seen our New Localized Portal?  http://www.powersupply.net
You can find information on Local Businesses.  Just click switch cities and type in your zip code.
Get Local!  News, Weather, Stocks, Free Classifieds, Local Movie Guide, Domain Registration,
Free Auction Listings and much more!

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com