> I realize that I'm most likely asking a biased group, but
> I was wondering if any of you out there use/used AS5400's
> from Cisco?
>
> I currently have a MaxTNT maxed out with 48 port cards.  My
> problem, is that I'm most likely going to have to go to a
> second one and I am looking at the new v.92 trend.  As I
> understand it, I will have to toss my 48 port cards and
> upgrade to the 96 port cards.  Well for the prices of
> the cards and the extra chassis, I can move to two Cisco
> AS5400's for a bit less.

I am biased toward Cisco.  I have always liked Cisco but I appreciated
that Ascend seemed to be about a step ahead with reliability.  That was,
of course, in the pre-Lucent days.

We have purchased several AS5400s.  I have found that in the Verizon
territories that we provide service, I cannot talk to the switch with any
release over 12.1(3).  In a couple of the locations, no release will talk
to the switch (although the local CO techs believe it is a trunk
configuration problem at Verizon's end).  In two locations, I have had
random repeated crashes.  Cisco supplied an interim release which
decreased the crashes from a couple of dozen a day to one every week or
two.  Memory has been thrown at them.  I'm still waiting upon an answer.

But, when they work they work well.  I will be purchasing more AS5400s
once some of the current issues are fixed.

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com