Hi List,

    Can anyone out there give me some pointers on configuring a MAX 4048 for
dial-in Internet access? Here's what I have and what I have done so far:

    I have working DNS/Web servers on a 216.7.46.128/26 network. The servers
are running FreeBSD version 4.2. I have my Max 4048 at 216.7.46.141/26. I
have a 24-Channel T-1 connected to the Max (it has 56k modems in it) and can
sucessfully dial in and connect to the Max. I am using Ascend Radius version
98XXXX, the latest off the old Ascend FTP site. I created users in a user
file like this:

    mickeym Password = "abcdefg"
        User-Service = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 720

   I have a DEFAULT user profile at the end of the user file. I have added
the name of the MAX to the client file with its shared secret. The radius
server and the Max are communicatiing on ports 1812 and 1813. DNS works, the
radius server authenticates and logs me in and dynamically assigns me an IP
address out of a pool of addresses handled by the Max.

    I have two machine connected to the MAX. One as a dial-in station
(pretending to be an Internet client) and one connected to the MAX's serial
port directly using Hyperterm. Talking thru the MAX's serial port (local
terminal server) I can ping the Max's ethernet port and any other hosts
units on the network, and I can ping the dialed-in W95 machine. I can also
ping out onto the Internet using either an Ip address or a domain name like
www.yahoo.com.

    My problem is that from the dialed-in W95/98 Internet machine I cannot
route or ping to anything beyond the ethernet interface of the MAX. It
appears that I am mssing some essential piece of the setup or a route or
something.  I have re-built everything a dozen different ways this weeks
trying to figure it out and I am stumped. I have tried four different
flavors of Radius and they all so the same thing. I can log in but I cannot
go anywhere.

    Can anyone tell me what I am missing? Laughter in the background...  :-)

     I know, it is probably something so obvious that I will groan when I
hear it. But I am at the end. I have read and re-read through the forums and
lists, and have learned a huge amount about Unix, compiling programs and
re-installing things. None of it has hurt me but I really would like the
silly thing to work. Is there a trick or two with the MAX's and routing and
Radius or have I missed the obvious?

Clint Bridges
cbridges at moseslake-wa.com

DNS/WEB/RADIUS Servers: 216.7.46.132/26, 216.7.46.133/26
MAX:    216.7.46.141/26
ROUTER: 216.7.46.129/26
Dynamic IP POOL: 216.7.46.161 with

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++