From:           	"Marco C. Coelho" <maillist1 at argontech.net>
To:             	<ascend-users at max.bungi.com>
Subject:        	(ASCEND) PM3 Flash loosing mind
Date sent:      	Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:59:52 -0600

> I've got one Portmaster 3 that will not hold its boot code between power
> cycles.  It will hold it's config data, but I have to tftp the bugger every
> time I cycle power.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  I assume it's a bad flash chip, I just don't know
> which one.

You can check if they are really fault by erasing them with the following
Commands:

set cons
set debug 0x72
set register 0xffff 0x0763

(may last 5mins.) You should see the number of tries the system had on each Flash.
Everything above 150 is BAD!! If you have such behavior you must exchange the Flash.
Unlucky Lucent doesn't support this Hardware anymore so you can't send it in.
But before drop the Unit in your wastebag you may try to exchange the Flashes.
The Flashes are two 28C040 in PLCC that directly surfacemounted on the PCB.
I can't tell you which is which so exchange them both. (The bootloader
is in the Eprom so the system must boot even without the Flashes)
This requires skills with (un)soldering PCBs. Beware if you are not familiar with it.

regards H.Schroeder

Hartmut Schroeder             MMS Communication AG
mailto:hacko at mms.de           Eiffestrasse 598
http://www.mms.de/~hacko      20537 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 211105-40       Fax: +49 40 210 32 210
---
ISAKMP (0:16): deleting SA reason "He's expired! He's lost his perch! He's an ex-parrot!"
OR how not to build VPN's using Ciscos :-)

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com