Date sent:      	Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:47:47 +0530
From:           	Harpreet Singh Giani <harpreet at agni.org>
To:             	ascend-users <ascend-users at bungi.com>
Subject:        	(ASCEND) Max 3000 and IPs

> I have two Maxen (Max3000) in my network center. On the same lan
> segment, there are some linux and NT machines as well.
>
> I am able to telnet to both maxen and all the other machines on the lan
> if i connect from across the net. But if I dial up to the maxen, I am
> unable to even ping any of the machines on the same lan. But I am able
> to access the net and all sites outside the network center.
>
> I suspect this is a problem with the IPs and Subnets I have configured
> on the maxen.
>
> I have a single class C. xxx.xxx.114.0-255
>
> The upstream bandwidth provide has carved out xxx.xxx.114.1-4/30.
> xxx.xxx.114.1 is the address on his router and xxx.xxx.114.2 is the
> address they have asked me to use for my end of the E1 line.
>
> So now the first maxen is configured as xxx.xxx.114.2/24
>
> In the wan options, I have configured the Pool#1 start to xxx.xxx.114.5
> and have given it the next 64 addresses (pool count)
>
> The second Maxen is configured as xxx.xxx.114.69 and has the pool#1 set
> to xxx.xxx.114.72 with 64 as the pool count.
>
> The other machines on the same lan are from xxx.xxx.114.200 onwards
>
> Would appreciate any help.

Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Ether options -> Proxy Mode=Active

Should help cause your WANaddresses are from the same subnet as the LANrange of your MAX.
(then the MAX will answer ARP-Requests in the LAN when it sees an addresse that is
a WAN-Address). Otherwise you must tell your defaultrouter (guess .1) routes to the WANports
where each MAX is the gateway.

regards H.Schroeder

Hartmut Schroeder             MMS Communication AG
mailto:hacko at mms.de           Eiffestrasse 598
http://www.mms.de/~hacko      20537 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 40 211105-40       Fax: +49 40 210 32 210
---
ISAKMP (0:16): deleting SA reason "He's expired! He's lost his perch! He's an ex-parrot!" state (R) QM_IDLE
OR how not to build VPN's using Ciscos :-)
++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com