>From: "Troy Settle" <troy at psknet.com>
>
>Once apon a time, the TNT used 2-slot 48port modem cards.  You could get 288
>ports per shelf.  I've never been hands on with these things, and the
>available documentation (lucent.com and esight) seem to be fairly out of
>date.

Dual-slot modem cards... <shudder>

>Anyways, what is the current, real, capacity of a TNT?  Can the backplane
>support a fully loaded chassis?  I'd like to get 672 ports (full DS3) going
>before upgrading to an APX, and need to know if I should plan on an APX
>before that time.

Currently you can buy 48- or 96-port single-slot modem cards. A DS-3
is only 7 96-port cards, leaving lots of slots free. You'll need
high-output power supplies.

Have I ever done it? No, but I would. You wouldn't believe how many
full-boat TNT's there are in the Worldcom/AOL colo I'm in. They
stretch off into the distance.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/