>From: Steve Haavik <shaavik at soc.lib.md.us>
>Clint Wiley wrote:
>
>>  As has been described here in the past, we are having problems with maxen
>>  running 7.x.x and 8.x.x needing a reboot after they start adding modems to
>>  the pending 195 list.  This seems to happen on a 24 to 48 hour basis.
>>
>>  We have max 6000's w/o flash memory running the following:
>>
>>  SYSTEM IS UP:  Index: 100  Load: tbaxkh.m60 Revision: 7.0.26
>>
>>  Is there a stable code release that can solve this problem?
>>
>>  We also are having the problem on a few lagacy 4048's.
>>
>>  SYSTEM IS UP:  Index: 100  Load: ftbk.m40 Revision: 7.0.26
>>
>  > Should I downgrade to a 6.1.x ver?
>
>I've tried everything short of 9.0.0 in the one site where we are having this
>problem and nothing has fixed it.

Any particular reason you didn't try 9.x? We use it on a TNT with no
major problems.

>I haven't tried going back to version 6
>though. I'm reasonably sure that our ploblem is being caused by the number of
>bogus calls we are getting on that PRI (just about every failed call has a
>dialed number that shouldn't be on our PRI and Verizon doesn't seem to
>understand that this is a problem) so you may want to find out why it's adding
>modems to the 195 list.

Ah, telcos. I wonder if some kind of call routing on your Max to drop
those bad numbers might make your Max happier.

The trouble with having a known telco problem is that you have no way
of knowing that it won't make whatever other vendor's gear unhappy
too. I'd focus on beating Verizon into submission first.

>Between this, the SNMP issues (I opened a ticket and
>they still don't understand why I think it's a problem), and the
>utter lack of a
>useful T1 (nailed PPP) bonding implementation (not to mention some
>of the worst
>support I've ever had the misfortune of having to use), we've
>decided to try out
>a different vendor. I hear Cisco and Nortel are nice...

Some Maxen support multilink Frame Relay, which should let you bond
T1s acceptably.

As for the "support", I'm with you there. Utterly pathetic, and I too
will be using other vendors in future for that reason.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/

"Where's my burrito?" -- Homer