Hi Terry,
Try playing with the different compression settings on the MAX.  If you can
find a user that is having the same issues test a few dial-ins and see how
the different compression settings affect their performance.  Use a local
connection profile for them so that you do not affect other users.  Also,
there is a parameter called "modem ringback" that is used sometimes by older
modems.  I believe that it should be 'yes' for older modems.  It may cause a
minor modem tone anomaly for some users but there is no performance change
caused by it.  I would also recommend using a good syslog service that may
tell you if you have a modem card(s) that is going bad.  I have had cases
where the usual MAX modem debugs ('avm', 'lanport mod')showed no indication
of a failing modem/modem card but the syslog detected a trend in call
disconnects and terminations that pointed out a failing card. You may want
to upgrade your code to 8.0.4 if you don't have any compatibility issues
with it.  There may be some obscure bug fix or additional setting that may
make a difference.  Other than that.....your guess is as good as mine.

There may be some helpful info at www.808hi.com/56k.  I have found this site
to be an excellent resource for modem troubleshooting.

Good Luck,

David Pascarella, MCSE CCNA  A+
Network Support Engineer
SOLUNET, Inc.