On 19/3/01 5:51 PM, "Anssi Sallinen" <anssi.sallinen at jippiigroup.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in a situation when running MAX6000's with 4*E1 connected,
> running software-revision 7.2.0 and a mixed load of modems and isdn's.
> When the box is full of customers, it looks like the box is on a horrible
> load or something, as users get something like 1Kb/s of bandwith. What
> we speculated is that a MAX6000 could not hold the full traffic of 4*E1 as
> it's built to handle only 4*E1. Is there any proof of something like this?
> Could this be corrected with a software-upgrade? We haven't seen any need
> for this as 7.2.0 has worked perfectly for us. Don't fix it if it ain't
> broken?
> :)
>
> Best regards and kind thanks in advance for any assistance,
>
> Anssi Sallinen
> Network Engineer
> Helsinki, Finalnd
> ++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
> To unsubscribe:    send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com
> To get FAQ'd:    <http://www.nealis.net/ascend/faq>

Anssi,

I used to work for an ISP based in the UK.
We had between twenty and thirty Max6000s for providing remote access.

All the chassis were filled with six 16-port modem cards, providing 96
modems. We would only use three PRIs on the chassis, and run a minimum of
features that were likely to cause CPU overhead.

With six spare modems and ISDN users connecting through the box, you have
enough modems to let you disable any that might be faulty, and still not
have to replace the card. We avoided OSPF and ran RIP, using Cisco routers
to redistribute RIP information into the core network. We did run stacking
for channel-bonded ISDN, and units were connected to the rest of the network
using 100Mb switches.

This configuration always ran without problems. I'm sure there are plenty of
people running fully loaded boxes, but depending on your network
environment, you might not be able to get away with it. Lots of routing
activity or filters applied through RADIUS could happily kill the
performance of your remote access servers.

- Matt

--

Matthew Watkins
Technical Consultant