This was posted by Clint Wiley when I had the same problem:

Back to 7.0.4.

The problem is that you are getting too many "bad calls" and the max is
taking modems out of service.  Only when an entire card is free, will it
reset.  Unfortuantely, if you have the same number of lines as modems, the
offending card may not reset in time, resulting in the need for the
reboot.

You can see this in diagnostics mode by typing "avm" which will show you
the offending modems on the "pending 195 list."

For Max 6000's this is fixed in 9.0.0 code.  For 4000's you have to back
to 7.0.4 which is the latest code that doesn't incorperate this "feature."

So...if there's a 9.x for the 3000, perhaps that would fix it...

up at 3.am							    http://3.am