There is no need for an external modem: just turn on syslog output on your
pipeline, and capture syslog on your linux machine. Then, when you see the
message indicating a call is being received from whatever number you like,
just start a couple of pings to wake up your pipeline link.
Alternatively, you can use the pipe's callback mechanism.