>From: MPuras at solunet.com
>
>Hello!  I am running into a bizarre issue with a few TNT's (DSL and none DSL
>Chassi's).  We have some DSL-HST's all running 7.10.x coming accros SDSL
>lines into a variety of TNT's all running DSL with 24 port SDSL cards.  All
>the TNT's involved are running 7.0.22, 7.2.3, 8.0.3 and 8.0.4.  The CPE
>devices are doing PPP encapsulation into the TNT's however just recently we
>have noticed that when we issue the "user" command and we do a ping sweep to
>determine what IP address are pingable (this was part of troubleshooting
>this issue), some PPP sessions are staying  active even though the end user
>has ended the session.  This is preventing the users from reconnecting until
>the session is terminated.  It appears as if the DSL-HST's are not sending a
>termination request and therefore the port remains open and the TNT
>maintains the sessions for X amount of time.  If we manually close out the
>port the user can reconnect and get a new IP address assigned and all is
>well.  Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?  Thanks in
>advance!

We use Frame Relay encapsulation with our Max 20/DSLPipe HS-T's and
that works fine. We also use PPP with some Xpeed bridges, which also
behaves correctly. As a workaround, you could use Frame.

Otherwise, you might try playing with LQM as a way of making the TNT
realize that the session has gone away.

My question would be: Why are these sessions going away at all? Why
aren't they nailed up?
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/