On Wed, 30 May 2001, ISPstuff wrote:
>... Lucent is following the monopolist model inherited from their parent
>AT&T.

>At 08:37 AM 5/30/01 -0000, you wrote:
>>before upgrading from my PM4 I specifically asked if software upgrades
>>were free of charge in the future (as they were with the PM4/Livingston
>>and other ascend kit).  The response from my supplier was that they would
>>be free of charge.

Ascend code is free.  When was the last time you got *anything* out of Lucent
for FREE?  And techinically, your supplier cannot answer that question as
they don't control any of the code.  Maybe the answer was yes when you asked,
but the answer is no now.  Lucent has to make money somehow.  Forcing people
to buy insane support contracts to get bug fixes obvisouly isn't going to
help them.  It'd be cheaper and more effective to replace the TNTs with
almost anything else than buy a Lucent support contract.

Just getting documentation out of Lucent is a big enough pain in the ass.

--Ricky

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com