On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:13:32PM -0700, Prashanth Bhat wrote:
| I have a Pipeline 85, which I bought used. It has
| software release 6.1.19 installed on it. I would like
| to upgrade to the current version by downloading from
| Lucent's ftp site. Could somebody please help by
| pointing me to the correct version?

Updated versions of the software, called TAOS, can be found at:

    ftp://ftp.ascend.com/pub/Software-Releases/Pipeline/

Get the files "Upgrade-Filenames.txt" and "Upgrade-Instructions.txt" from
that directory, as they will be helpful.  The Pipe85 uses the same software
as the Pipe75.  The latest versions are 7.3.4 or 8.0-101.2.  The 7.3.4
release is a bit older, but is more thoroughly tested.  The 8.0 release
adds support for multiple NAT maps and some minor bugfixes.  Both have been
quite stable for us.  Files relative to the above URL, with their primary
differences:

    .../Release-7.3.X/7.3.4/b2a.p75      (IPX AppleTalk)
    .../Release-7.3.X/7.3.4/b2ix.p75     (X.25, IPsec)

    .../Release-8.0-101.2/b2.p75         (IPX)
    .../Release-8.0-101.2/b2a.p75        (IPX and AppleTalk)

All support TCP/IP and the usual Internet-related features.  My company
uses 7.3.4/b2ix on all our customer routers and have had no problems with
it.  The 8.0 seems to work fine as well.

| Also, I don't have the password to the Pipeline
| device. Any suggestions on how I can retrieve it?

If you have the Full Access password, you can bypass telnet by connecting
on the console with a straight-through serial cable (like you would use
with an external modem).  Connect with setting 9600 8-N-1.  You might try
this anyway.  People selling them used often wipe the configs first.  If
this is the case, the default Full Access password is "Ascend".

If you don't have the Full Access password, your only choice is to NINDY
the router (wipe the config and upload a new TAOS).  Lucent has a document
describing the procedure on their support site.  I can't provide a URL, as
they use cookies to prevent deep linking, so you can find it like this:

    1) Go to https://support.lucent.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+dns.ProdIndex?LINK=Prodcontent
    2) Scroll down until you find the Pipeline 85 link and follow it
    3) Go to Techincal Notes
    4) Search for the note titled "How to NINDY the Pipeline 50/75/85 Unit"

(Watch the URL above, it's long and may wrap on your display.)

-James

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com