On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:43:02PM -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
|     6. The guy providing the upstream bandwidth is claiming that
|     he can't give us IP addys to assign to every client, due to
|     "new ARIN rules".

There are no such rules.  Your upstream is wrong.  ARIN's IPv4 addressing
policies can be found at:

     http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv4.html

The closest thing to what your provider is claiming is the section on
cable modems, but it only talks about SWIP requirements.  There is nothing
about not assigning unique addresses to broadband clients.

|     I'd prefer to not have to do
|     NAT or masquerading because it breaks some client applications
|     (not to mention complicating my dynamic routing), but I have
|     a Linux router if necessary.

You don't want to go down this road.  It will break things and you will
have many unhappy customers on your hands.

-James

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com