At 10:48 3/01/02 -0600, Chris Clements wrote:

>Max users,
>
>	We have had some intermittent problems with dial-in users connecting,
>authenticating, then instantly disconnecting.  Is there some facility in the
>max for logging this type of problem?  What could be some possible causes of
>this?

Hi Chris,

You could try enabling remote loging to a **ix box and look at those logs,
they're pretty detailed. (In fact they're probably too verbose) On a
MAX6000 its under Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Log, enable Syslog, Host is
your **ix box, Port should be 514, and set facility to something like
Local0 that isn't used already on the box that will be logging.

You'll then have to enable remote reception on the syslog daemon (just add
-r to the startup command line option in the Linux version) and add some
syslog.conf entries to catch local0, save them in a seperate file (I used
/var/log/max.log) and prevent them from getting logged into your mail
/var/log/messages. (It would probably pay to firewall port 514 to only
allow packets from your NAS, so other people cant send your syslog daemon
junk)

Or if you use radius, you can tail the detail file for the NAS and watch
out for Stop records for that user and see what the disconnect cause is.

Regards,
Simon

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com