>This file is a P.I.T.A. - It grows and grows to enormous size if not
>manually rotated (unless I am unaware of something that will enable log
>rotation of this file), which is the first lame thing about it. The other

You may want to try logrotate, which is very popular on Linux environments
(if you are running linux, chances are that you have it installed and
running already, try 'man logrotate'). For solaris, there is a port in
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/solaris/RPMS/usparc/Solaris2.5.1/logrotate-solaris-2.3-4.usparc.html.
For this to run, I think you need rpm running, however.

>thing is that the information passed to this file is either too detailed or
>not detailed enough. There is no happy medium. I am trying to use this file
>as a basic call log to spare the network the traffic of enabling call
>logging (as well as sparing the MAXen the event table size, etc, in memory
>since there has been no memory added to them). For this purpose I was
>hoping
>to hack something up quickly that would pull in these files as they are and
>pull out the important info (such as Lan session up/down times, the IP
>address assigned, call duration, CID info, etc.

For this one, you should consider building some script that use grep, sed,
cut or the like to cut out the info you need. Typically syslog files are
very regular in their structure, so this seldom is a big deal to build.