Don't know what exact procedure you are using to Nindy, but here is the one
I have.  Maybe you are doing something different?

Max 1800
· With all cables and power removed remove all cards from the box, open the
case and
   orient the LEDs toward you (the front).

· Locate P5 and short it.

· On the S interface box it is next to the battery.

· On the U interface it is located at the top center of the box next to the
ribbon cable.

· Attach the serial and power cables. Power up at 57600 N-8-1 no
flow-control

· At the > prompt enter DF then upload the correct version of firmware. It
should be
   around 900k. Down load the software using Xmodem 57600-N-8-1 no
flowcontrol.

· Power down the unit then remove the jumper from P5 and put the cover back
on

· Reconfigure the terminal/serial connection for 9600 and configure the Max,
or use the       	configurator.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Max 2000
· With all cables and power removed remove all cards from the box, open the
case and
   orient the LEDs toward you (the front).

· Locate P10 and short it. It is located in the front right corner of the
motherboard next
   to a ribbon cable.

· Attach the serial and power cables. Power up at 57600 N-8-1 no
flow-control

· At the > prompt enter DF then upload the correct version of firmware. Down
load the
   software using Xmodem 57600-N-8-1 no flowcontrol.

· Power down the unit, remove the jumper from P10 and put the cover back on

· Reconfigure the terminal/serial connection for 9600 and configure the Max,
or use the
   configurator.

After this, I can't really say much more about it.  I've done a few 6K/3K's,
TNT's, and Pipes, but nothing THAT old  ;-)

 - David