In my experience, cause 185 is usually associated with 2 things:

1)  Poor connection or noise in the telephone line, which you will
notice comes with extreme variations in the customers connection speeds
2) software modems - winmodems are horrible, and I have seen customers
cause 185 or cause 11 problems go away when they stop using
software(pci) modems.