reliably, but such problems aren't frequent and are difficult to pin down.
In fact they're uncommon enough that it could easily be put down to poor
lines and/or crappy modems. However, if there are any known
incompatibilities with certain modems, (I'm thinking mainly Lucent Winmodem
or Connexant HCF softmodems here) that could be improved by upgrading the
firmware, I'd certainly be interested to know.

If so, what version have people found most reliable and stable ?

In all other respects the unit is working just fine. Here in New Zealand we
use E1 lines, and the unit currently has six 56K 16-modem cards fitted.

On another point, is it possible to increase the maximum modem count above
96 ? As all the slots are full I presume the only way would be if a card
was available with more than 16 modems per card.

Regards,
Simon