This is the problem I have too. It's because nmap looks at open ports on the
systems. I have mostly OS X and Windows systems on the network, and all of
the Windows 2000 and XP systems show that port 67 is open. Even though there
is no DHCP server running on the system. Therefore, when I scan the network,
more than half of the machines scanned return that they have a DHCP server,
when most don't.