Jason Reynolds wrote:

>I have had linux running on my laptop for a few months now. I have has Suse
>9.1 Professional, Mandrake 10.0 and now Gentoo. It seems that I always get
>myself into situations where I need to use a windows box to do something. An
>example is playing movie files that just don't seem to play, or visiting
>websites with a funny commercial on them. It always seems to be an effort.
>There are a few other people I know that are running Linux, and everyone had
>some minor problem playing a file.
>
>Am I the only one that has this problem? I really, really want to kiss Windows
>goodbye as much as I can, but it's hard when I keep having to use it as a
>crutch. It's also difficult to defent the "I don't use linux, because I don't
>want to use a hobby os" when I'm doing all this work to get things that just
>work in windows to function.
>
>Any tips or tricks or websites I may be missing. I just want Gentoo and KDE to
>do everything my heart desires. I really love using Linux and don't want to
>have to give it up again so I can be really productive again.
>
>Jason Reynolds

Two years ago I had to install ogle, gxine, xine-ui, and mplayer to get
video files to play.  Out of those three one of them always worked.
That was back with RH 7.3 I think.  I'm on gentoo know and have been on
it for over a year now.  I use xine for watching dvds and for most of my
video watching, and use mplayer for wmv which it plays perfect.  I
really like that it is able to play wmvs and most movs.

A year ago I was studying biology and "needed" quicktime for 3d viewing
and playing short movies on the net.  For this I bought crossover and
had as much problems with it working with embedded movie files as I did
with gxine automatically recognizing and running the files externally.
It has become a bit better, but still has its problems with embedded
movs.  Like I can't watch a lot of the movie trailers on quicktime.com.

Flash was a hassle to install and uninstall when macromedia didn't offer
a linux install.  When they released their linux version it has pretty
much always worked.  And installing shockwave with crossover works real
well.  Otherwise you can get gplflash.

With msoffice, I have to convert to .doc before I can print at the
college which means I need to refine the formatting or wait about 10
minutes to download a ~60MiB file and install it on the campus computers.

Even with all this I still need windows for one application I use.  For
this I use vmware which works really well with my AMD 1800+ and 512 MiB
RAM.  I only run vmware when I need it and the app is real small.

I don't worry about defenting "I don't use linux, because I don't want
to use a hobby os" because I do run a hobby OS.  I compile all my own
software as do you.  I anticipate it not working.  The theory of linux
is we all give a bit of our time.  Otherwise we are just leeching.  I do
recognize how you are perturbed about obvious things not working,
hovever they aren't always as obvious as you think.

Try

emerge-webrsync
emerge -p xine-ui
emerge -p gxine
emerge -p mplayer
emerge -p mozilla-firefox
emerge -p openoffice-bin
emerge -p gplflash

Use http://gentoo-portage.com and click "Browse portage" on the left
side there.  Other than that, search the forums at
http://forums.gentoo.org/ and get involved by subscribing to a gentoo
question when you have a problem and there's usually a quick resolution.

Adam Shrode