On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Mike Hicks wrote:
> an RG-1000 is an access point that uses an Orinoco Silver card, so it
> supports 128-bit WEP.  It's what my roommate should have bought instead of
> his Linksys WAP11, I guess.

Note: Orinoco Silver == 40/64-bit WEP.. you have to upgrade the cards to
support 128-bit (which apparently you can do with the RG-1000's, if you
install AP-500 firmware.. :)

> On that subject, does anyone know if there is an incompatibility between
> the Linksys WAP11 and the Orinoco Silver card?  My roommate hasn't been
> able to get WEP working, though he's just using Windows XP's native
> drivers for the card.

Linksys broke WEP with non-Linksys devices in firmware release 1.4h3
(along with a bunch'a other stuff!); WEP works perfectly for me with Cisco
340 and Prism2-based cards on either 1.4g5 (Linksys-provided) or the SMC
Firmware v1.4g7 (SMC makes a device that's got the same hardware as the
WAP11, so you can load it's firmware onto it if you so desire).

Basically, if you've got a WAP11, run 1.4g[57] on any device you want to
be an access point, and 1.4h3 on any device you want to be an AP Client or
PtP/PtMP bridge. Until Linksys or Atmel fix their firmware, that is.  :)