On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Note: Orinoco Silver == 40/64-bit WEP.. you have to upgrade the cards to
> > support 128-bit (which apparently you can do with the RG-1000's, if you
> > install AP-500 firmware.. :)
>
> Interesting.  My roommate is definitely under the impression that Silver
> cards can do 128-bit WEP.  Not sure where he got that idea.

Yeah,, 'Bronze' == no encryption, 'Silver' == 40bit wep, 'Gold' == 128bit
wep.

> > Basically, if you've got a WAP11, run 1.4g[57] on any device you want to
> > be an access point, and 1.4h3 on any device you want to be an AP Client
> or
> > PtP/PtMP bridge. Until Linksys or Atmel fix their firmware, that is.  :)
>
> Hmm.  We'll have to try that out, though I'm not sure if I have
> appropriate client software for that firmware version..
>
> Does anyone know of decent documentation anywhere that describes how to
> talk to a WAP11 via SNMP with a Linux/Unix box?  Linksys provides MIB
> files, but they've been nearly useless to me...

New software will generally talk with older firmware just fine. 1.4h3
totally breaks SNMP though.

Downgrading the firmware is a pain.. Linksys says you can't do it.
Basically, what you have to do, is take the newest installer, copy the
firmware from the older version over the firmware it includes, and then
run it. Real pain!

Only things I've seen for Linux:

http://gwap11.sourceforge.net/

In other words, nothing that works yet.  :(