natecars at real-time.com wrote:
> [...]
> You can also load the firmware from an AP-500 onto it, which adds 128-bit
> WEP (and, as I understand it, upgrades the PCMCIA card to a Orinoco Gold
> in the process!), and some other cool features.

I'm not so sure about that. The AP-500 shipped with a gold card, I
believe - hence it's 128-bit capability. I think you're still
limited to 40-bit (Silver card) if you load the image up on
a RG-1000.

I believe it *may* be possible to upgrade a silver card to do 128-bit
WEP, I just don't think the stock AP-500 firmware image will do it.
The reason I suspect that you might be able do it is that Apple
are touting 128-bit support in their Airport 2.0 software:

>AirPort 2.0 software
>Compatible with all versions of AirPort Cards
>and Base Stations, AirPort 2.0 software brings
>enhanced features to AirPort wireless networks.
>AirPort 2.0 software can upgrade original AirPort
>Cards to support 128-bit encryption (encryption
>for original AirPort Base Stations will remain
>40-bit). Software Update will auto install AirPort
>2.0, or you can download manual installers for
>both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.

Either the card is upgradable, or they've moved WEP off the
card and into the driver on the Mac.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634