I'm thinking either IPSec (Freeswan), or CIPE between access points for
encryption.  Freeswan would probably be best because it will work with other
IPSec implementations.  With CIPE, I think you are stuck connecting to only
other CIPE boxes.

As for routing, we can run OSPF on each node and broadcast a default route
in from each internet connection point.  Anyone on the network will be
routed out the closest internet connection.  However, BGP would be the way
to go.  We don't need to broadcast any routes, just pull them down from a
router just outside each internet connection.  Most use authentication,
however, MANY also have public snmp communities, and you can pull the table
via snmp, however, getting it into your local routing table might be a
problem.  Initially, OSPF and injecting default routes is probably the best
solution.

Jay