Me and a few friends were designing something to connect all of our houses.
I'll do a writeup later tonight if I have time and post it to the list.  We
already have equipment scoped out, and the cost would be around $400 per
site with card, antenna, and mast.  You'll also need a cheap pentium class
machine running linux to plug the stuff into.

The best thing we can do right now is get some sort of map up on the TCWUG
site where people can put in their address or lat/long and have it plotted.
Using a different color dot for the following scenarios:

1. Don't have an antenna up yet, but interested
2. Have antenna, omnidirectional
3. have antenna, directional

This way, we can figure out where the best spots are for omnidirectional
antennas.  In fact, if we can get a map up, with a downloadable comma
separated file which contains lat/long and the type of antenna if it exists,
I can whack the data into a Genetic Programming based Excel plugin that I
found awhile back, and it will figure out the best type of antennas to put
at each site.  I just have to find the plugin again, forgot what it was
called.

Jay