> Sniffing some traffic from the roof here, I ran into a network where
> the ESSID transmitted is 30 00's. Anyone have any clue what this is? Is
> that what you get when you set the ESSID on the AP to 'ANY' or
> something?
>
> Just curiosity rearing it's ugly head again.  :)
>
> --
> Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com>   | Phone : (952)943-8700
> http://www.real-time.com                | Fax   : (952)943-8500
Yes, I have seen this before. When changing the essid to <anotherName> it
seems to "fake" the status. I have seen sets of 44.44 with iwconfig as
well. iwconfig seems to have alot of limitations as to what it can do.
Maybe it is just my hardware but when I try and change most of the settings
of a WAP it complains Operation not Permitted. I only see this activity
with iwconfig. The windows based tools I have used seem to always report
the correct mac address. I have also noticed that some WAP's report their
essid as the same value of the mac. Another thing I have observed is when
you change the nick of one WAP and then switch to another WAP the nick
applies to both units (but only to the box you connected with.) I would
love to find a tool that is a bit more robust and comprehensive to the
entire 802.11 market. There is alot to be explored. The amount of networks
that are already mapped (mostly in Europe) is growing exponintially.

--
SpencerUnderground		http://autonomous.tv
spencer at autonomous.tv		http://mudpiefoods.com