steve ulrich wrote:

> handwaving about FSO and other technologies aside, putting APs on
> buildings downtown is fraught with some different challenges, i.e. -
> you'd have to be on top of the tallest buildings within the downtown
> area with fairly high gain antennas to compensate for the LOS issues.
>
> putting antennas on the plymouth building (visi location) is of
> dubious value given the relatively modest height of the facility and
> the surrounding buildings.  getting on other buildings with decent
> connectivity might be better but i surmise that this would be priced
> a bit rich for our tastes.

The tallest buildings aren't always the best for applications like this.
In a base to mobile/portable situation where you have fairly low gain
antennas, typically 8 db on the base and 5 db on the mobile, the normal
usable range for 802.11b without amplifiers on each end is only around
a half a mile. To cover much of downtown is going to take alot more than
one site.

The plymouth building has quite a few taller buildings around it but I
believe that it's fairly open to the north so it could be used as a hub
for point-to-point links in that direction that will get us closer to
the areas that we want to cover. I believe that there's also a path down
hennepin ave which could get us to the Walker Art Center. The Walker
isn't real high but it is much more out in the open and I think that we
could talk them into letting us put something on the roof fairly easily.
They'd love the idea of having network access in the sculpture gardens.