On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:40:58PM -0500, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:20:53AM -0500, jeffr at odeon.net wrote:
> >

> [snip good content, see summary]
>
> > Basic connectivity to the wireless network should be fairly simple for Joe
> > User.  Plug in a wireless nic, configure for DHCP, and you're on the
> > network.  You can't get out to the internet at this point, but you can
> > access any services being provided on the wireless network.  A community
> > intranet of sorts perhaps.  If the user wants to get out to the internet
> > then they either need to figure out how to correctly set up their home
> > network (and be providing an access point on the wireless network) or they
> > need to purchase a gateway service from an ISP.  If they are doing it on
> > there own they could get help from this mailing list, or perhaps the TCLUG
> > mailing list if they are using linux for their firewall.  If they are
> > purchasing a service from an ISP, then they can call the ISP for technical
> > support.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Excellent, this is exactly what I've been thinking.

I've pretty much had the same thought as well, since the first meeting.

the time you have to worry about authentication and traffic accounting, is
if someone from across the wireless network, wants to use your system as a
gateway to the Internet. (i.e. as an ISP)
those who want to provide such a service, can probably be bothered to learn
how to set up NoCatAuth, or some workalike for win32/netscreen/whatever.

the gray area are those people who are willing to serve as relays on the
wireless network; but not necessarily as gateways to the Internet. I think
they'll have to decide for themselves whether they want to
authenticate/account their traffic or not.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises