Bryan Halvorson wrote:
> [...]
> All a passive repeater really is is two antennas that are connected
> together. They tend to work best when you have a situation where you
> have a fairly strong signal and then have a nearby area where the signal
> is blocked for some reason. You put up an antenna where it can catch the
> strong signal and connect it via coax to another antenna that can
> resend the signal into the blocked area.

Attached is a photo of one such installation on top of one of the
new target buildings that got in the way of some microwave link
heading out west from the WCCO studios downtown. The downtilted
(left) antenna points toward the studio, the right antenna points
out to the West.

I've meant to email WCCO's engineers to find out the story before
I posted the picture here, but I never got around to it.

> One example of this is the big flat panels mounted at an angle on the
> smoke stacks at the power plants around town. They have microwave dishs
> on the ground pointed at the panels to bounce signals off of them.

Those are planar reflectors, and actually realise gain - I think
it's a stretch to call them passive repeaters; though they are
undeniably passive & do repeat things.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634