all-

it would seem that there are some varied interests within the group
above and beyond the desire to build out a community wireless network.

in an effort to scratch these itches - i've taken the liberty of
trying something different. (and something that we discussed in our
meeting on tuesday) in addition to our usual banter regarding
locations, overlay vs. hotspot and such i'm working to get us a
"guest speaker"  - initially it's looking like these speakers will
come from amongst us.   we can take the first 45 minutes or so of the
meeting and focus on this topic in a more formal manner.

to that end the first topic (09/03/2002) we'll be covering will be
wardriving for beginners.  this will be presented by our own matthew
hallacy.  this will be an overview of some of the more popular
wireless sniffing tools as well as some practical tips on getting your
own wireless sniffing configuration setup.

frankly, i've selected this topic because of its sex appeal.  it has
some geek interest and there are some very practical applications for
the use of such tools in corporate america today.  this is something
that we can publicize to other folks who might not necessarily have an
interest in our overlay vs. hotspot banter but would be interested in
this for their own networks and as a way to do something cool with
their cars.

the second topic that i'm working to get us a speaker for is a radio
technology primer.  clearing up the confusion regarding power,
antennas and providing a basic introduction to the technologies
associated with RF networks.

more as it happens.  feedback regarding topics of interest would be
appreciated and i'll work what contacts i have (if you have contact
willing to cover some of these topics as well that's always
appreciated) to get us speakers.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC